Fluorescence Adapter for Leica DVM6 Digital Microscope
The NIGHTSEA Model SFA Fluorescence Adapter system can add a versatile fluorescence imaging capability to the Leica DVM6 digital microscope. The key elements of any fluorescence system are:
- a light source that produces sufficient energy in the appropriate wavelength range to excite fluorescence in the sample of interest;
- a barrier filter in the viewing path that blocks reflected excitation light while transmitting the fluorescence emitted by the sample.
NIGHTSEA implements these for the DVM6 microscope with:
- high intensity LED light sources available in five excitation wavelength ranges (see list below);
- emission barrier filters that attach to the DVM6 objectives easily and non-invasively.
(Click image for larger view)
Leica DVM6 with NIGHTSEA fluorescence added
NIGHTSEA items to add fluorescence to Leica DVM6
NIGHTSEA barrier filter for Leica DVM6
Example fluorescence images made with the Leica DVM6
DVM6 fluorescence – electronic component failure analysis
DVM6 fluorescence – pollen grain
DVM6 fluorescence – concrete thin section
DVM6 mineral fluorescence – calcite (red) and willemite (green)
DVM6 fluorescence – epoxy on motor shaft
Comprehensive solution kit
We have configured a versatile DVM6 fluorescence adapter kit that includes the most useful excitation wavelengths for varied industry applications. The SFA-DVM6-IND kit includes the following items, at a package price that is less than purchasing the items separately:
- Three excitation light heads – Ultraviolet (UV), Violet (VI), and Royal Blue (RB)
- This recommendation is based on our experience with varied applications. Read the explanation below.
- Three barrier filters and filter shields paired to the excitation light heads
- Gooseneck lamp base with intensity control
- Universal power supply – 120/240VAC, 50/60Hz, with international plug set
- Packing/carrying case with custom-cut foam
We do offer additional wavelength sets that may be of use for other applications.
Use this Quote Request Form to request a quotation for the SFA-DVM6-IND kit or for any other configuration.
Why we recommend a set of three excitation wavelengths for industry needs
We have found that the combination of the Ultraviolet (UV), Violet (VI), and Royal Blue (RB) excitation/emission sets addresses a wide variety of industrial imaging challenges. The most common misconception we encounter is that fluorescence is uniquely associated with ultraviolet light and many customers immediately ask for that wavelength. However we have found in several cases – even some in which UV was specifically recommended by a dye manufacturer – that either Violet or Royal Blue provided superior performance. For example:
- A prospective customer wanted to image concrete thin sections impregnated with fluorescent dye. The dye supplier recommended UV, and it is true that UV will make the dye fluoresce nicely. We found that our Royal Blue excitation produced significantly brighter fluorescence.
- Similar to above, except that a fluorescence epoxy had been used to highlight surface cracks in a test sample. Royal Blue excitation yielded brighter fluorescence.
- A prospective customer sent us a sample of material that was known to fluoresce under UV. The goal was to see the distribution of non-fluorescent particles in a fluorescent matrix. While both UV and Royal Blue excited fluorescence in the sample, the best imaging contrast was achieved with Violet excitation.
Acquiring the three-color system will provide the highest chance of success and will equip you with a versatile toolkit to address new fluorescence imaging challenges as they arise. Contact NIGHTSEA If you would like to discuss your application further.
There are five excitation/emission wavelength combinations available for the system.
||360 – 380nm
||400 – 415nm
||440 – 460nm
||490 – 515nm
||510 – 540nm
- Note – – Wavelength sets are named and color coded for the color of the excitation light, not the color of the emitted fluorescence.
- SFA-DVM6-IND – Three-color industry kit, with UV (ultraviolet), VI (Violet) and RB (Royal Blue)
- Complete setup for one excitation/emission combination
- SFA-DVM6-UV – Ultraviolet (360 – 380nm) excitation
- SFA-DVM6-VI – Violet (400 – 415nm) excitation
- SFA-DVM6-RB – Royal Blue (440 – 460nm) excitation with longpass filter
- SFA-DVM6-CY – Cyan (490 – 515nm) excitation
- SFA-DVM6-GR – Green (510 – 540nm) excitation
- Modular excitation/emission sets
- SFA-DVM6-LFS-UV – Ultraviolet excitation
- SFA-DVM6-LFS-VI – Violet excitation
- SFA-DVM6-LFS-RB – Royal Blue excitation
- SFA-DVM6-LFS-CY – Cyan excitation
- SFA-DVM6-LFS-GR – Green excitation
Contact us for more information or request a quote.